Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Focus on training...rest of 2011

This page has been permanently moved. Please CLICK HERE to be redirected.

Thanks, Craig.

This posting is very unusual. There is no grand experiment I'm performing, no exciting statistical analysis, and no profound Oracle insights uncovered. However, if you are thinking about getting some training before the year is over and there is some budget left, then perhaps one of OraPub's courses is the perfect fit. If that's a possibility for this year or next, then read on!

In this posting, I'm going to summarize each of my courses and also list the locations that have been confirmed for the remainder of 2011. There is also a lot of course information online at OraPub's training web-site. For reference, you can see pictures from my past courses and also student testimonials online. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at orapub.general@gmail.com.

Locations.

While I will be speaking at various user groups and conferences, my training courses will be offered in Atlanta, Chicago, Salt Lake City, and Portland (Oregon). The first half of 2012 I'm hoping to offer my courses in Europe and also in Brazil. If you live in these areas, let me know if you are want my training in your country. The more I hear from people the better the chance I can bring my training to you! Registration is open for each of the course offerings shown below.

September - Atlanta, GA
Sep 19-21. Oracle Performance Firefighting
Sep 22-23. Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis

October - Chicago, IL area
Oct 10-12. Oracle Performance Firefighting
Oct 13-14. Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis

November - Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 14-16. Oracle Performance Firefighting
Nov 17-18. Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis

November - Either San Francisco area or  Washington, DC area (contact me!)
Nov 30- Dec 2. Oracle Forecasting & Predictive Analysis

December - Portland, OR
Dec 12-14. Oracle Performance Firefighting
Dec 15-16. Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis

My Courses.

I have three core courses: Oracle Performance Firefighting, Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis, and finally Oracle Forecasting & Predictive Analysis. What my students generally tell me about my courses is they are based on solid research and experience. I'm able to take very technical and diverse topics and make them practical in their performance work. Students also like my teaching style. If you have seen my presentations at a user group or at a conference, you have an idea of my teaching style.

Here is a summary for each course. For more information, click here.

Oracle Performance Firefighting.

The Firefighting course is my foundational course that has been running since 1999! My firefighting course is all about quick and methodical diagnosis, deep Oracle internals, resolution strategies, and learning to communicate your recommendations. While it's easy to think there are other courses available like this, in reality there is not. My students tell me that what sets my course apart is a true response time analysis that is presented and practiced in class, analysis perspectives (Oracle, application, and OS) combined into a single consistent story, the in-class case studies, and the way I teach. If I state something that I can't demonstrate with an experiment then I will tell you so. It's a wonderful class and, I love teaching it.

The class is three days in length. For more information, click here. If you have taken the course within the past four years and would like to take it again, there is a 50% refresher discount.

Advanced Oracle Performance Analysis.

The Advanced Analysis course is two days and is offered after the Firefighting course providing DBAs with a full week of intensive training. This class is relatively new and of all my courses, it has undergone the most radical change over the past two years. If your management is not satisfied with the "just trust me, I know what I'm doing" statement and wants an honest understandable story about the situation, your solution, visual and numeric data, and the expected outcome for each solution then this class is for you. The Firefighting course produces a list of technical viable solutions that make sense. The Advanced Analysis course enables you to confidently rank and have an honest and knowledgable conversation about which solution should be implemented first AND to state the expected impact on the system. Users and even individual SQL statements. Yeah... it's pretty cool and very practical. One of the highest praises I receive from my students about this class is that I'm able to take performance theory and make it very practical and useful.

Oracle Forecasting & Predictive Analysis.

The Predictive Analysis course is very different from my other courses. Both the Firefighting and the Advanced Analysis courses assume you're in the middle of a roaring performance firefight. In stark contrast, the Predictive Analysis course assumes performance is currently acceptable and you're looking into the future; asking questions about when performance will become unacceptable, where it will be at greatest risk, and how can risk be mitigated.

If you have read my Forecasting Oracle Performance book you'll have a good idea about the course contents, but the course goes much further than the book. This is especially true in the modeling area. A significant portion of the course is spent developing and working with models based in MS-Excel.

While many DBAs and their managers feel "forecasting" is the responsibility of some other group, every DBA has been asked questions like, "We are adding 50 more users to the accounting application. That's not going to be a problem, right?" That's a predictive question! Or, when managing virtualization, requirements still need to be forecasted for budget and planning purposes. Certainly you need to ensure there is enough capacity to meet the expected requirements. So, forecasting is just as important as it ever has been.

For most Predictive Analysis students, the course opens up a whole new world of IT and enables them to not only do their existing job better but can jump start them into a new branch of expertise. If you have never taken my forecasting class before, I hope one day you can get the chance.

Questions?

If you have any questions about my training courses, please feel free to email me directly. The best email is OraPub's general, which is orapub.general@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment